It's that time of year where air is getting chilly, hot chocolate is on everyone's shopping list and the baking season begins! I have a few go to recipes that I love to make this time of year, for a family get together, party or just a weekday. Today I'm going to share with you how to make a quick, stress free apple pie.
The part about making pies that always stresses me out is making the crust. That's why I stopped making the crust and started using store bought. And you know what? I like it even better! So does my family. I'll show you how to easily elevate a store bought crust, it'll come out of the oven golden and flaky. First lets get your ingredients in order:
6 cups of peeled and sliced apples
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 package of store bought crust ( I use Pillsbury two pack) make sure it's room temp
1/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup of sugar
1. Pre heat oven to 375 degree F
2. Combine all ingredients for the filling EXECPT the butter in a large bowl. Stir to coat the apples, then set aside.
3. Spray pie pan non-stick cooking spray. Unfold one of the pie crusts and lay it in the bottom of the greased pan.
4. Transfer the filling into the crust. Dot with the butter or margarine.
5. Unroll the other crust from the box onto a flat surface. Using a pizza slicer, slice the crust into equal 1/2 inch strips. Use half of the strips to lay across the pie, in the same direction, with about a 1/2 inch space between each. Next use the other half of the strips and they them going the other way across the pie to form a lattice effect. Pinch the edges of the latticed top and the bottom crust together. Cut off any excess crust.
6. In a separate small bowl add the egg and milk. Stir until combined. Then brush on the top of the pie crust. Finish off by sprinkling sugar over the entire top of the pie.
7. Cover edges with foil to keep from over browning. Bake pie in oven for 25 min. Remove the foil and bake for 20 to 25 more min or until the crust is golden brown.
8. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
I hope you and your family enjoy this pie as much as we do!